25 Reasons to Choose Breastfeeding
Now's the time to decide how you want to feed your baby.
This guide has 25 greast reasons to breastfeed. And every year, scientists find more reasons why breast milk is best for
baby - and why breastfeeding is good for moms too.
Your breast milk is the perfect food for your baby. It's always ready to serve. And it's free. Give your baby the best
you can give. Breastfeed.
Breast Milk is Amazing
1. Breast milk is the perfect food for your baby.
2. Even if you only breastfeed for a few days or weeks, your early milk can protect your baby from illness. This starts
with the first feeding. Breast milk is your baby's first immunization.
3. Breast milk is much easier to digest than formula. It can soothe your baby's stomach, not upset it.
4. Your breast milk changes to meet baby's needs. Even the taste changes to give your baby a variety of flavors to enjoy.
5. Your breast milk is especially good for developing your baby's brain.
6. Your breast milk has health benefits you cannot buy in a can. Breast milk contains good things that only nature knows
how to make. These good things include special proteins, fats, enzymes and antibodies. They promote baby's growth and health.
Formula does not contain them.
Breastfeeding is Good for Baby
7. Good healthcare begins with breastfeeding your baby.
8. When you breastfeed, your baby will have fewer colds and earaches and be less likely to develop asthma, diabetes or
9. Nursing at the breast helps shape a baby's jaw, so teeth grow in straighter.
10. Your baby wil have less chance of becoming overweight later in life.
11. Your baby will become a healthier adult.
Good for Mom too!
12. Breastfeeding can help you lose the weight you gained while pregnant.
13. Breastfeeding helps your uterus shrink faster adn get back to the size it was before pregnancy.
14. Breastfeeding helps reduce bleeding after you give birth.
15. It helps keep your bones strong.
16. If you keep breastfeeding for a few months, you may lower your risk of getting some kinds of cancers.
17. Breastfeeding helps you build a strong bond with your new baby.
18. It will make you feel great - because you are giving your baby the very best start in life.
Moms Like Breastfeeding
19. Breast milk is ready to serve anytime and anywhere. There are no bottles to carry around.
20. Your breast milk is free. You save money - so you have more to spend on other things your family needs. And you don't
run out of breast milk!
21. Night feedings are easier when you breastfeed. There's nothing to prepare!
22. You can save time in the kitchen. There is no need to mix and heat formula every time your baby is hungry. And there
are no bottles to clean up - unless you decide to have someone else give your baby a bottle when you go out on your own.
23. Changing diapers is nicer. A breastfed baby's diapers have less odor than babies who are fed formula. Dads may be more
willing to pitch in!
24. Your baby may not be able to digest formula. Then you would have the hassle of changing brands, trying to find one
25. Because breastfed babies tend to be healthier, you are likely to spend less time and money at the doctor.
Breastfeeding is the best choice for most moms. It is not recommended for women who are HIV positive, use street drugs
or abuse alcohol. Ask your doctor what's best for you and your baby.
Breastfeeding is recommended by:
- World Health Organization
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Breastfeeding moms and their babies everywhere
©2000 The Positive Line™
Graphic by: http://www.guice5.com/nurse